Friday, January 7, 2011

Of cons and conmen...and slackers and BSers and wasters of time


Anyone who's read my blog knows well that, for the most part, I love my life here.  There are so many advantages for me in living in Egypt.  But readers also know that at times my frustration level goes through the roof, and it's usually about the same complaint--that Egypt is basically a chaotic mess that just flies by the seat of its pants.  I think in too many ways the rule here is--there are no rules.  Or perhaps that it's a "me first" kind of existence, which leads to all kinds of complications.

Driving is a perfect example.  The death toll from traffic accidents is huge because everyone must be the first to arrive (hopefully) at his or her destination.  Doesn't matter how many other cars one sideswipes or how many pedestrian one mows down--it's all about getting there before anyone else does.  And that is because, while on many levels Egyptians appear to be quite generous, they are in many ways an arrogant and selfish people.  "It's all about me".

What really gets my knickers in a knot is how those in need are treated here.  Now by "in need" I dont mean the poor.  I refer to those in need of a product or service. From food shopping to buying, finishing and furnishing an apartment, from hiring a taxi to purchasing a car, from ordering a hamburger to having a doctor's appointment, those providing a product or service will bow and scrape and kiss your hand until you fork over your hard earned cash.  Once you part with the green stuff, you are SOL.  Because, simply, there is NO understanding here of what customer service means.  To sell you even a pound of onions, the seller will lie through his teeth and swear on the grave of his sainted mother that you are buying the best onions in Egypt.  No matter that he knows very well they are rotten to the core.  It's a dog eat dog economy and survival of the fittest most dishonest here.  The biggest bullshitter wins.

Now my complaints need to be divided into different categories.  We have the lowly salesclerks, waitstaff, counter clerks, technicians, etc, who work for some else's business or service, usually for a monthly pittance a cockroach could barely survive on.  Then we have the  managers of said businesses.  Next are those who have their own businesses and/or work for themselves, and last but not least we have the government workers who keep this country "running"--I think there's an oxymoron in there somewhere.

There is one underlying current running throughout all of these categories, and as bad as these are in and of themselves, there lurks among them some of the slickest snake oil salesmen (and women) you could ever not hope to meet.  Many Egyptians have elevated the con to an art form.  But more on that later.  In my next post, I will begin with "lowly salesclerks".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and polite folks! This is MY house. Comments are most appreciated!